by Kathy Summers
When you’re pregnant, your sunscreen doesn’t just have to protect your skin from UV rays, it should be free of toxic chemicals that can affect your growing fetus. Do you know which ones are double safe?
A study of about 1,000 brand-name sunscreen products discovered that 4 out of 5 contain toxic chemicals that may pose health hazards or don’t adequately protect skin from the sun’s damaging rays — or both! Some of the leading brands like Neutrogena, Coppertone, and Banana Boat ranked near the bottom of the safety list.
Don’t wait around for the FDA to get around to setting updated sunscreen standards (currently 30 years old). While companies remain free to claim protections they can’t deliver, you are free to protect your health and your baby’s health by avoid potentially toxic products.
To find out which sunscreens rank the most safe and effective, check out the EWG’s comprehensive sunscreen guide.
Here are the top 10:
- Soleo Organics Sunscreen – Organic chemical free sunscreen SPF 30+
- Soleo/Wyland Sunscreen – Organic chemical free sunscreen SPF 30+
- Soleo/Atlantis – Resort Organic chemical free sunscreen SPF 30+
- Keys Soap – Solar Rx Cosmetic Sunblock, SPF 30 zinc
- California Baby Sunblock Stick – SPF 30+
- California Baby – Sunblock Stick Everyday/year-Round, SPF 30+
- Badger Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Purple Prairie – Botanicals Sun Stick spf 30
- Marie Veronique Organics – Creme de Jour Tinted, SPF 30
- Marie Veronique Organics – Creme de Jour – 22.8% zinc oxide